………….new environmentality……….…WORKPLAYTRAVELLIFE IN INDIA

Friday, June 3, 2011

Ladakhi horses and alpine lambs

I've always been a bit afraid of horses. I mean, they have huge teeth and could kick you. (My friend's great-grandmother has one eyebrow permanently higher than the other because a Nazi horse "hindlegged" her in the face.) But on my trek through Ladakh's Markha Valley, I spent some quality time with Mister Ed and his friends. As soon as I learned not to stand behind them—that's where the kicks fly—I wasn't nervous anymore. And if I was comfortable, so were they. Fast friends.

Several days into the trip, we walked by a flock of alpine lambs. I came this close (the tips of my thumb and index finger are an inch apart) to popping one of the munchkins into my backpack and taking him away with me. But I settled for petting. Probably a good move. Newborn lambs and New Delhi don't mix well.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, those photo's, what a great blog you have. (I chuckled reading about the nazi-horse and the eyebrow story, classic!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, great photos, especially the laughing mule. Your trekking buddies look almost giddy in the presence those super-cute lambs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through.. your photos..Great shots..
    I feel the love towards animals..
    very much... in your pics..

    ReplyDelete
  4. james, those pictures are adorable. Is the horse story and an almost accurate account of my grandmother in Russia, by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nora, yes! Almost accurate? Komown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwwww! What great photos!!! How did you get the one of the horse laughing?! ^_^ He wasn't laughing at you, was he?!...And that last shot melted my 50 year old heart. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photography James!! Amazing!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Be sure to come and enter my amazing $250 Giveaway from Tracy Porter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. That happy little lamb makes me smile so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great pictures specially laughing lamb and horse:)

    ReplyDelete