………….new environmentality……….…WORKPLAYTRAVELLIFE IN INDIA

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The mustache

You can't live in India for a year and not sport a mustache. It would almost be culturally insensitive, given how prevalent they are here. I don't want to offend anyone.

India is scattered with barbershops that literally are on the street. They often consist of a chair on the sidewalk, a mirror posted to a wall or fence, and a man with a razor blade. In New Delhi, it costs approximately 50 rupees (or $1.10) for a haircut and 25 rupees (or 55¢) for a shave. Gotta love a good deal.

For my mustache, I upgraded to a barber with a roof. It increased the cost from 25 to 30 rupees, but I didn't mind the splurge. (It was worth the extra 11¢.) I arrived with a 4-week beard and let Mohan, the barber, go to work. Ten minutes later, I blended into New Delhi much better.

My mustache lasted one week. During that time, I surprised myself whenever I looked in the mirror. "Oh, wow, I have a mustache," I would remember. Feelings of surprise soon transformed into the realization that I looked ridiculous. I guess a good thing can't last forever.

The barber applied heavy shaving cream with a brush.
Check out the barber's concentration as he uses the razor. Much appreciated!
One week with a big ole mustache.

3 comments:

  1. pretty awesome mustache james! I think I might try to grow one now haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever start a bluegrass Hindu wedding band you guys can be the Big Ole Mustaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your upper lip will be nice and warm up in La Dakh.

    ReplyDelete